They like me! Oh no, they like me....

Sensory deprivation

I reach out my hand into open air and I can feel the emptiness beyond my fingertips. Surrounding my fingertips and there is nothing else. No expectation of warmth, pressure, or any input at all. No tactile feedback. No expectation of resistance. Groping madly for a different outcome. Moving my fingers independently in synchronicity with my other hand. In an attempt of self diagnostics, I move to embrace one hand to another. I feel the warmth. The feedback. The texture of skin. But still no external to me input.

No clasping of forearms. The feel of forearm muscles grasped by my fingertips and the corresponding pressure applied to my own forearms. The reassuring embrace, one man to another. As to say, welcome brother, you are among friends. No gentle touch on the back of the hand. As to say welcome cherished, you have been missed. No aggressive and locking pressure with accompanying rapid vibration of the hand. As to say greetings!, You are welcome here.

The modern age, so devoid of the antiquated. The perceived obsolescence. The pseudo-enlightenment. It is hollow! Comfort in name only! Social media anything but social. Glorified reinforced isolationism. Extinct the tradition of hand to shoulder. Hand grasping limb reassurance. Hands now relegated to the task of smart phone mount mouse clicker, iPad pointer.

My hands and arms long without sensory input, have long ago forgotten the corresponding sensations to accompany the words  now lost in time. Will you take for granted, the greetings of humanity and what it means to you? These simple inputs? Can you imagine what they mean to me and the loss of? Just another sensory deprivation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not to get into a religious discussion. But there was a gospel song titled "If I could but touch the hem of his garment." If you know the story I won't go into it. But what would this mean in today's society? If I could but get his contact address? If I could but like him on Facebook? If I could but send him a smiley? If I could but get his autograph? How much hand sanitizer would we need before we greeted him?

Comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews