They like me! Oh no, they like me....

Halley


When I first saw Halley's Comet I was a truck driver. Driving a lonely dark stretch of interstate in Virginia at night. I noticed what seemed to be a plane's headlights. But it seemed to be stuck in the sky. Which I immediately thought was weird. But then it slowly dawned on me it was Halley's Comet and I was looking at it backwards. 


I picked up my CB and said Hey, any of you guys got your ears on? Do you see what I see? Did you guys know that's the comet? But no one bothered to acknowledge. They were too busy insulting each other. Just another non-event. And I knew what it meant to be alone.


For the next two nights it was just me and Halley. We talked about so many things. We knew we didn't have much time to hang out. He told me about what it's like to drive long haul in the cosmos. He told me about the meteorites that streaked across his path. Solar drivers he calls them. I told him about the Sunday drivers that streaked across mine. I told him how if you look at his rig backwards it looks like he's driving with his high beams on. He laughed, he said he gets that a lot. He told me how he knows the people watch him as he drives through. He always wonders with their lives are like as he passes and looks out the window at the lights. But he knows he'll never be a part of any of that. It's just not something that was meant for him. I tell him that I kind of know how it feels. We know we can't do anything for each other. I'm not even stellar let alone Interstellar.


He was even visible in the early morning sky. My children were in New York with my mother. I called her up and told her to get them outside to see him. But I didn't get much support. I was born the only dreamer that I know of in my family. I often ask myself, when did having wonder in your life become a bad thing?


Halley moved on. He had places to be and was just passing through. I won't be around when his route brings him back through again. But I think I know how he feels. Full of wonder and questions. But alone and no one to ask them to. Driving down the dark and lonely Interstellar highways minus the interstellar. Calling out on a CB that no one has time to answer. Driving with your high beams on. Hey!, you guys got your ears on? Is anybody out there? Can I get a radio check?

Comments

  1. Loved this write!!! And I can relate. I remember standing at my back door watching that comet plow through the sky and having no one to share it with. I've always been like that
    though. I love to watch the moon and stars and I'll call some one up like I did recently with the Blood Moon and the Harvest Moon and say, Hey!! Go outside right now and
    see something amazing!!! I am a perpetual child full of wonder and always will be.
    Oh, here's a story for you...when I was 15 or 16, one snowy January night I went out on the front porch when everyone else was fast asleep (naturally) We lived on a farm way
    out in the country and we had fresh snow on the ground and the moon was full and it was so incredibly bright outside and so beautiful and silent. I looked at the moon to my left in amazement and said to myself, Wow, the moon is so bright tonight. Then I turned and looked to my right and I said, Wow, the moon is so bright tonight. Then it hit me!!! Two moons? No way!!! then I looked closer and I realised that I was looking
    at a real live UFO!!! It was just hovering there up above the trees, not making a sound. It was silver and saucer shaped with a round wheel thingie revolving round and round on the underside of it. It had a long bank of windows all around the sides and front of it and very bright lights inside it. I had the feeling that I was being observed. I was scared but even more thrilled than scared. I knew I had to tell someone . So I banged on my brother's bedroom door which was right off the front porch and I yelled, Get out here! there's a flying saucer out here!! He was a very hard sleeper but he finally got up and had his pants pulled halfway up and stumbled out onto the porch and I showed him where to look. He looked up at the thing for about 30 seconds and I'm going...Do you see it?? Do you see the UFO? And he said, Yeah, yeah, I see it. And turned around and went back to bed without another word!!! It stayed in position for at least 20 minutes and then suddenly zoomed off and was clear across the sky in the blink of an eye.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvDamp4tvA4
    Sense of Wonder by Van Morrison

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pP5OqC2eNQ
    Pagan Streams by Van Morrison

    you will love these songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And lovely. Well shaherazad you only have 999 more Tales to go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews