They like me! Oh no, they like me....

Don't give up


Oh, Peter. Poor Peter. You're not alone. Your song is not just for you.

In this proud land we grew up strong 
We were wanted all along

It was the same here. From one medium to another. In every commercial and movie school yard and text book. Be strong. We are strong. And we want you to be strong with us. You are special and we want you. Spoken by mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, friends and lovers. 

I was taught to fight, taught to win
I never thought I could fail

Metaphorically, physically, mentally, spiritually, top of the class in kicking ass. High marks and praise from my teachers. Head pats from my role models. My days in the Sun. No one could ever take this from me. No one would dare try!

No fight left or so it seems
I am a man whose dreams have all deserted

It was all gone before it ever sunk in that it was over. There was never a real battle. Just a real loss. All the stories the dreams the training. Did it even really happened? So hard to recall just what you dreamed about. Even to recount them to bring them back to life. So hard to just smile again.

I've changed my name, I've changed my face
But no one wants you when you lose

No longer champion, savior, hero. Too broken to raise your face to the sky. High collared coat to hide your humanity. Side streets and alleyways the new path. Far away from the judging eyes of the public. The same public that once said be strong with us. Now averts their gaze at your disgrace. Far too disgusted at a challenge you didn't even realize you could lose.

Don't give up
'Cause you have friends
Don't give up
You're not beaten yet
Don't give up
I know you can make it good

Was that the angels pleading? Could I try again? Should I believe again? How much more beating can I take? Is there a way to make this good?

Though I saw it all around
Never thought I could be affected
Thought that we'd be the last to go
It is so strange the way things turn

So hard to get up. Still shocked that I saw it. I saw it happening to others. How arrogant was I to think myself Immune. So strongly I felt I was the strongest and smartest. Now only to see the ones I thought week standing so strong and tall.

Drove the night toward my home
The place that I was born, on the lakeside
As daylight broke, I saw the earth
The trees had burned down to the ground

Where I called home is now a wasteland. With the physical world starting to look oddly enough as deserted and desolate as the metaphorical. Disembodied my soul travels my surroundings. How complete my destruction. How deep goes the rot.

Don't give up
You still have us
Don't give up
We don't need much of anything
Don't give up
'Cause somewhere there's a place
Where we belong

Again I hear it. The angels? A spirit lost? Just my inner voice pleading? Where? Where do I belong?

Rest your head
You worry too much
It's going to be alright
When times get rough
You can fall back on us
Don't give up
Please don't give up

Delirious in my dreams. So far gone I've gone to hear the voice of a cherished one. Spiriting me on. Giving me strength to look up. Urging me to a future I can no longer see. Promising me support in my time of need. Begging me. Pleading with me. Don't give up!

'Got to walk out of here
I can't take anymore
Going to stand on that bridge
Keep my eyes down below
Whatever may come
And whatever may go
That river's flowing
That river's flowing

The pain. The pain. It won't stop. I can't rest. I want to run! But everywhere I go there's the pain! So easy it would be to fall. That final fall. No matter what choice I make life flows. How do I stay a part of it? How do I find my way?

Moved on to another town
Tried hard to settle down
For every job, so many men
So many men no-one needs

Another try. Another attempt. With all my heart I want to succeed. With all my heart I want to win. With all my heart I want to sleep again. So many others. All of us just searching. All of us just wanting. So many with so little.

Don't give up
'Cause you have friends
Don't give up
You're not the only one
Don't give up
No reason to be ashamed
Don't give up

My angel. Show yourself! Show these friends to me! Show me how to walk with my head up! Give me your hand to hold, your shoulder to lean on! Please, please, please...

You still have us
Don't give up now
We're proud of who you are
Don't give up
You know it's never been easy
Don't give up
'Cause I believe there's a place
There's a place where we belong

Peter, poor Peter. You're not alone. Your song is not just for you. My angel calls to me from unseen places. I will find a way to rise. I will find a way to gather my pride. I will find a place. A place where I belong.....

Comments

  1. Not one of us are immune to tragedy and loss so insurmountable that we struggle to get back up... You rise not knowing what for, yet you rise. I for one am grateful for you and all the challenges I have encountered as of late.... self-awareness sucks!!! LOL...

    I read yesterday "when you are in a dark place, you sometimes tend to think you've been buried, perhaps you've been planted. Grow". Easier said than done, I agree...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, forever the eternal Prophet Optimus.

      Yes, Yoli I'll try growing. Lol but could we use a little less fertilizer? Being covered in so much shit makes it hard to breathe sometimes. Lol

      Delete
  2. I've heard from Watney himself, that shit is the best fertilizer , I thought I'd pile it on for good measure as to not miss any spots. ..BUT I'll let it be....lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews