They like me! Oh no, they like me....

Waiting for my real life to begin


 Late. Sometime around the midnight hour. Lonely desolate road. So many things on his mind. So many troubles he just couldn't put down. 


Always the thought of "Just this one last thing." " If I could just get through this one last thing." "I'm so close this time."  "And then, and then I can really enjoy it..." 


He'd heard of the schemes of mice and men. But there was always that one last thing. There was always that one last hurdle. He was always soo close. So close to what he dreamed of. So deep into his schemes and victory that he never saw the vehicle in the road until the headlights blurred red. Even then with his last thoughts being "I'm about ready for my real life to begin."

~~~~~~~~~~~


Hospitals always were the one place you would never want to find yourself in the prime of your youth or in the lateness of your days. But even with that being said with her being in the middle of both she had grown accustomed to the aesthetics of the place. She long ago reconciled herself to what was to be her ultimate destiny. And it wouldn't be long before that destiny came to call for her. 


Which made it all the more strange for even as she was attired in her hospital best. It was the person she was comforting that had a better outlook but seemed to not know of it. 


Honey, my beloved husband. They've done all they can. We've done all we can. Even when my heart goes my soul will never leave you. You were my world here, you will be my world in whatever comes next. Remember my embrace now it's all I have left to give you. 


Shonree, I know you writers love those flowery words. But this is real. This is happening! And I just can't. I just can't. How am I supposed to? Tomorrow the next day? What am I supposed to do without you? 


Beloved, dear dear beloved.  I will pay for the happiness of finding you. And in the next life I will pay for it again. Not just flowery words. You are my heart. And you must promise me. And I mean it. Promise me. You can't mourn for me until we meet again............. 


And like that gone, the stopping of a breeze. And for the first time since finding her he's left with the one thought echoing through his mind. Now without her. How to start his life again? Where to begin?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Robbing banks, cracking safes, it's all an art. And for this you are a Picasso!! Some would say you've never met a law that you didn't intend to break. But you know your professional. You only got into this profession when you were young and the family needed the money.  With Ma coming down with cancer and Pa getting injured in the mines. Somebody had to get the money. It wasn't soon before the whole family was in need of something. 


It was hard going at first. But then you found out you had a knack for it. Then you met up with your latest partner and things just seemed to fall into place. But this last job. This last job was a stroke of genius! More money than anyone in the entire county has ever seen at once! And you and your partner did it! Everyone was going to be set for life. Even better no one knows that you and your partner did it. You got away scot free! Easy street here you come... 


Which is why after you got away you were so shocked to see the only gun that you and your partner had pointed at your head. Mitch? I'm soo sorry Bill. But I had plans, I had dreams, and with this much money I think I'm about ready for my new life to begin.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


They said you were too old! They said he would kill you! Even you started to believe it. But you would rather die than quit. You would rather roll over a cliff or slit your own wrist than to be defeated! For all the people who stood for you. For all the people you stood for. One more time. One more challenge. 


So here you find yourself in the last minutes of round 10. You can't see, you can barely hear. You couldn't tell Nick at the end of round 9 that you lost feeling in your right arm. He's the best trainer you've ever had and would've never let you go back out. He just doesn't understand that you have to do this. He's also too good a friend. 


By this time you're crippled and failing body isn't even trying to run a strategy. Your body knows even if your brain doesn't agree it's over. So there was nothing but adulation in your limbs when your opponent interrupted the dictatorship of the brain with a straight right hand punch. The canvas was restful. Things where so distant and hazy. Even the consistent counting of the referee seemed to go on forever and dim. 


All of your obligations. All of your promises. All of everything that you saw in your reality. All at once the dictator was back. Like an earthquake in slow motion your land moved. And you rose like a mountain. You knew what you had to do. You didn't even know what the count was. You knew the Ref stood in front of you because of the blur of his white shirt. 


Frankenstein's monster you lumbered to the blur of your opponent. No wonder he was in shock and didn't even bother to finish you off quickly. More curious as to what you thought you were doing as to anything you could possibly do. 


No one in witness was without shock as you grabbed your opponent's wrist and held it above both of your heads. You were not defeated. There are more ways than one to win. And that's the thought that went through your head as you hugged your opponent with your hands above your heads and you whisper to him. Thank you, I'm ready for my new life to begin....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It's a beautiful sunset. If I were to stay, there would be a beautiful one tomorrow. The Overlook down to the beach off into the distant ocean, is beautiful. The sound of the ocean is almost musical. She loved this sound. I'm going to disappoint her again. Because I loved seeing her love this sound. But there's no turning back. You see, I already have a plan.


I remember the first day we met. I was so scared and intimidated by what I saw the future to be. I was scared by how much I wanted it. Not far from here is where we met. Not long before we came here for the first time. Not long before I saw the look on her face as she stared off to the distance. Not long in an instant I found through her I can see a long, long, way. It hurt at first. But I have a plan.


Through her I was always at the eye of my storm. She anchored me and defied the winds to blow against me. She won't approve, I'm making a mess all around me. But it's sunset and my ship is coming in. If she were here she would accept that this is what I want. She would accept that she is always my plan.


What a perfect spot to watch the sun go down one more time. Sitting on the grass covered slope and gentle wind. Watching the life of my sunset turn the green grass red. She would hold my head to her chest and sing to me if she were here. A pity I couldn't hold her back. My arms have loss there feeling with the loss of blood. My wrist and hands covered in blood, but it's all for the best. I already have a plan. Soon Shonree, I'm ready for my real life to begin.........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An anthology

There is a meaning to it. There's always a meaning to it. It just depends on how far away you can see. If your ship is coming in. I already have a plan, I'm ready for my real life to begin

Comments

  1. Wow! Great write!!! Do you know that's one of "my sayings"? Just
    waiting for my real life to begin! Along with Just do it! and Live and Learn
    and Pass it On! and...There are at least 3 levels of meaning to Everything!!!!
    yep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it connected with you.

      Delete
    2. great song, too. never heard that. I woke today
      and suddenly nothing happened....wow what a line!!!

      Delete
    3. https://bluevineyard.blogspot.com/2016/08/orphan-outside-looking-in-i-stand-like.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews