They like me! Oh no, they like me....

The Donner Party

The Donner Party 
There were 15 of us when we started. We were wrapped and ready for the cold. I knew the trip well. I had made it several times without incident. But the rest of the party were new. They were fresh eager and optimistic. They never dreamed of the horror that waited for them. 

Almost immediately and even on the first night, things went out of plan... 

At first by one's and then by two's I was losing them! My God, I was losing them! Even now I don't remember their names. I don't want to remember their names. Knowing that I would make it. But remembering how they didn't. In one's and two's. 

In the beginning only at night. But soon even during daylight they would fall. But even with that the party stayed fresh and pressed on.. In one's. I pressed on. I had to, I was the leader of the party. In two's. We weren't friends nor family. But we had formed the group as a kind of fellowship. What I did I had to do. But I will never be able to speak on how some in the fellowship fell on the journey. 

Sal was the last of them. He made it until the very last day. I'm going to miss him. 
Sal Burrito 
They were good and strong. They were fresh. They were wrapped for the cold. They came for the adventure of the journey. By one's and two's. They formed the party. 

The Donner party
~~~~~~~~~

They were good and strong. They were fresh. They were wrapped for the cold.
Silly? Yes. 
Dramatic? Probably. 
Delicious? Absolutely!

Comments

  1. That is terribly funny! Now I'm thinking about Donner party tacos 🤦🏽‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know where you were going with this but I knew it wasn't going to be a traditional Donner Party tale. lol BTW: believe it or not my best buddy's ex-wife is a direct descendant of the Donners!!!!! (He said she's still carrying on the tradition....of..you know......lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews