They like me! Oh no, they like me....

The Dreamer's dream


It's said among some writers that with every press of the pen a new reality, a new dimension is created. Some say that a writer glimpses other dimensions and then presses his pen. To dream the dream. Or to be dreamed by the dream.

My dreamer has pressed pen to many a tragic story and so too have I pressed pen and created many a reality of sorrow. But tonight as my dreamer presses me and I press on he, I will exert my will for a better reality for him.


Chapter one


At the entrances to the Hive there are drones set to the task of beating their tireless wings. So that even in the deepest parts of the catacombs the air is fresh and the breeze is light. The Hive is alive with activity for the Queen returns today. I face the hardest part of my quest, the beginning.

The Hive sits at the foot of the valley staring down the mountain at the other. The Hive Sha'trace is the jewel of the continent. But it's not the only Hive that the Queen must govern. It is to that end that she returns today from her travels.

My position as Hive guard has left me Sentinel to this Hive in her absence. In our beginnings those of us who showed self-awareness are separated from the common drone workers. But even that does not spare us from our devotion to our Queen. Mother to us all. But then why my current dilemma?

From time of grub till now I had never laid eyes on her. But to that time I will never be returned. Her name is Zar'nace but I would call her Queen.. Although she's only one of the Queen's attendants, confidant's I found myself drawn to her. In treason I pledged my wings to her and she accepted. But would the Queen grant me my leave? For never in the history of the Hive has a Hive guard requested such a boon. Would she take my head or allow me to keep it?

Zar'nace would worry also. But it's not her place to ask and make the request. That has always fallen to the males. The Queen must judge every subject for whether he is worthy to take a female into the wild to start their own Hive. I have seen such request and more often than not the male is deemed wanting. It's at that point their troubles begin. Or end depending on which end of the neck your on. Even for those successful, few survive long enough to prosper a hive.

Locked in my reverie I'm awakened to my present by the signal that the Queen has arrived! I and my guards stand ramrod straight as the Queen flies the ceremonial last leg to the hives main entrance alone. Her guard and entouragae falling back to show her supremacy over the hive. A site I've seen many times before but never does it cease to impress me. As she lites down before me with the youth of a much younger woman you would never tell that she is older than all of us.

Tra'con, I take it all is well in Sha'trace? Because with that look on your face I'm thinking I should call my guard up. I must put my mind to my task! I am the Hive guard! No, your Majesty. Sha'trace is well and as you left it. Please excuse my train of thought. Tra'con, You may believe that all is well but I did not make it this far by being that easily fooled. Come now, appearances must be kept. Let us walk through the hive and meet and greet this well and as I left it Hive. After protocol and ceremony have been satisfied you and I will have a talk, I think. By the watcher! She knows! Every step we take draws us closer to the end of the inspection tour. Every beating of the breeze I feel my neck long for the weight of my head, which will soon be missing. I will be found in treason long before I get to the request. And then what of Zar'nace?

The rest of the ceremony goes on forever. Although only an hour, for me an intolerable sentence of time. As all of the Queens confidant's are in waiting in her private chambers I will never get to see her. When the time comes to cry out for her would only guarantee her joint sentence and a headless life. Although the Queen is not one to undue harshness. Neither is she one to suffer the slightest treachery. I would know. I have carried out the orders myself. I pledged my wings to someone other then her! If there were ever another to do so I have never heard of it. And I would do it again. Watcher take me! I would do it again.

Late into the evening I received the summons to the court. The Queen did not sit upon her throne. She stood to its front. Good sign? All of her attendants stood behind the throne as is their usual position. Tra'con I have met all the protocols of the day. I think it is time I delt with this once and for all, now. Before your eyes could focus I knew you were trouble. I just never imagined you would be my trouble. With that she raised her hand and Zar'nace stepped forward from the other attendants. My heart stopped. No! By all that is no! I take it you thought me a fool. Funny how you all say "Mother to us all" But you never think that I know you truly. Well?, don't stand there as though your wings are stuck in your mouth! Say something! Or should I take your heads now and be done with it?

My Queen! As if... It is true. I do love her. With a love that is as great as my love for you. I did not seek it out. And I would never plot against you. You are my Great Mother! I only ask now that you believe me. I love Zar'nace. And she did not force this upon me. You ask the truth of me. And this is it. I pledge my wings to her. You know me truly Majesty. You know I will not stand against you. But I cannot go against my heart.... So please take my head and be done with me but leave her keep hers....

By all that is, he really is an overly dramatic romantic! The laughter that filled the throne Room struck me as odd considering the loss of a head. I raise my Eyes to see the Queen laughing hysterically and gesturing to Zar'nace. Come child. Hurry before he takes his own head! Stand by him, quickly. Be sure to grab his sword Or it may decide to take it for him. Dear Tra'con. Dear, dear Tra'con.. I have already scolded your so called queen. But I couldn't resist this opera. I'm an old lady in more ways than one. And this was just too good an opportunity to pass up. Although I was kind of wondering if it would ever happen. Watcher knows you waited long enough. "Mother to us all" indeed I knew the moment you saw her where it would end up. That, and the fact that I have almost as many spies as I do guards around here. Hah hah hah

Stand up straight! Hive Guard of Sha'trace! I have never lost a hive guard before and this I think should not be allowed. But this once maybe. You understand what you're asking? Yes your Highness. You understand what happens next? Yes your Highness. You pledge your wings? Yes your Highness. So be it! Zar'nace and Tra'con I set you out. For what there is to be said of freedom, I set you free!

My new Queen steadies me because I have lost all sense of balance. More than I could have believed. More than I truly thought possible. She is mine. We are to be together. We are to forge our future in love. My old Queen looks upon me. And I know she has been touched because the Queen has cried.

There will be a ceremony later. But now has never happened and I will have your heads if it is ever said otherwise. My children. My deepest blessings. My cherished son, my wise and graceful daughter. Call me mother and let me keep that portrait in my mind.
Mother to us all. Cherished Mother thank you, with love.

When the Sun rises tomorrow the universe will be born anew. The quest will begin and my love will explode beyond the borders of this reality


Comments

  1. What a fascinating, incredible story!!!! I am astonished!
    Bravo, Author!!!! More, please.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews