They like me! Oh no, they like me....

Missing Six feathers



I was told not long after I was born that upon my first crawling I made my way to my father's chamber. I stole from his ceremonial headdress six feathers. So that is what they named me Six feathers.

Decades later I grew strong with the other warriors of the tribe. Upon a successful raid of our neighbors one of the captured women was found to be unstable. They treated her badly even among the other survivors of her village. They called her Missing feathers.

Warring between the tribes was natural, it was the way. But I had no will to be cruel. I protected Missing feathers for that is my way. From that day on she seemed to be more focused when ever we we're together. In time my village took to calling me her missing feathers. 

How long has it been now? How many sunsets have we shared together? She sleeps now and even now I can tell the trouble of her mind. I know her. I know her mind. Through the many years now accepted by The village, my mate, my Missing feathers.

She will wake any minute now, as she has done many times before. And the unrest behind her eyes will fade to the background as it always does upon seeing me. And I will once again be for her the feathers that make her whole.

The joke unknown by the villagers is that I didn't take enough feathers from my father's headdress years ago. She was the feathers that I needed. The wisdom that I did not have. The strength to unite all the neighboring tribes. To end the ceaseless raiding and taking of prisoners. Now our children boys and girls grow strong in the united tribes! And none know but me to give thanks to my Missing feathers.

But uncertain is our time together. For I have noticed some of the spirits that plague her lead her out away from me. How much longer do we have? How much longer before she wakes without it being her behind her eyes? What will I do then when I am truly missing my feathers?

The Medicine Woman and the Elders of the village make no promises to me. They can do nothing to exercise her demons. They say it is only I who have held them at bay all these years. The great spirits have gifted me. But our time together. I do not seek to waste any moments that I have left.

I am transfixed by her sleeping beauty. I am broken-hearted by her restless slumber. I am guardian to the feathers which I cannot keep. She stirs. So slowly her eyes open. Who shall greet me this day?

Husband? Why do you greet me this way every morning? Why do you look so troubled? Have I done something?

No, my beloved feathers. I just worried that I would have to start my day without you. I have but only the six feathers I need you for the rest.

Such silliness from one who is Chief. But yes, if you give me your six I will give you all that you are missing.

I hug her and in our embrace I thank the great spirit for giving me one more day with my Missing feathers...
~~~~~

I may never get to tell the story behind this story. Because I know I'll never finish it. I seem to be missing my feathers....



The print can be bought here

https://www.art.com/products/p17724041599-sa-i7066328/edgar-franklin-wittmack-indian-headdress-april-10-1926.htm

Comments

  1. That is bittersweet but I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is is quite amazing what a good feather in your cap can do for you.

      Delete
  2. LOL I'm glad you liked it but no I haven't been watching Dances with Wolves but I do feel a little like The Last of the Mohicans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I was beginning to believe I was already gone.... Same to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was amazing! I love it! I was there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an odd way you may have been. and by the way if I'm not mistaken you owe me a poem. Check your site a promise was made a promise should be fulfilled. LOL otherwise feathers get ruffled.

      Delete
    2. Did I really? Do you remember on what post or page I said that? I believe you, I just don't remember it. I've had a very bad few months. But I will do so asap. I have to be inspired by something, I can't just write something. Refresh my memory, please. I am not a well woman. smile My apologies. p.s. Your writing has been amazing lately, even more so than usual. Are you really clinically depressed or was that just writing? If so, I'm so sorry. Voo

      Delete
    3. Check your post that says not tonight. Check the comments. I left you a message.

      Delete
    4. LOL so now you owe me one. LOL

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz32I_GbpeU

      Delete
    2. It was a very nice song thank you.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes The Pleasure


      I lie to myself when I'm by myself
      And the night is dark and cold
      I don't want to hear the voice of fear
      And the tale that can't be told.

      Can you lose a thing you never owned?
      Can you convince yourself that's true?
      For I am convinced that I have your heart
      And that I am beloved by you.

      So many nights, so many fights
      And what was the fighting for?
      I can only remember the empty room
      And the slamming of the door.

      But when it is good, it is so good
      Like a desert after the rain
      Our hungry eyes tell us all those lies
      That the pleasure is worth the pain.

      And so we bear the heartbreak
      And so we bow to woe
      And so we kneel as our minds reel
      And the wanting refuses to go.

      What is it in a woman's soul
      That only a man can meet?
      And what is it in her wounded heart
      That can knock him off his feet?

      Sometimes we sit and talk all night
      With candlelight and wine
      Lose ourselves in love's sweetness
      That by morning we can't find.

      And yet, and yet, we thrust ourselves
      Upon the bloody knife
      That raised by your hand or by mine
      Can't cut out the nameless strife.

      So we walk away and run away
      And go running back again
      To arms of bliss and the lethal kiss
      And the pleasure that's worth the pain.

      Perhaps one day, we'll find a way
      To eliminate what's wrong
      Erase this chorus and rewrite the verses
      Of this beautiful but very sad song.

      Till then, we'll crave the passion
      That carries us away like the tide
      This love that kills and turns and heals
      And binds me to your side.

      There is no rhyme or reason
      For this madness that we share
      We take the pain that gives the pleasure
      Though this sadness we must bear.

      We are but fools, love, you and I
      A woman and a man
      Bound by things the mind can't know
      And the heart alone, can understand.

      ©By Voo
      Dec 28, 2019
      11:03 p.m.

      Delete
    4. A very beautiful piece thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews